Reno police say Renown shooting probably not random

Listen to the story

Reno police say Renown shooting probably not random


Reno Police hold a press conference Wednesday morning about the Renown shooting.

Reno Police held a press conference this morning providing the latest updates on Tuesday's shooting, which took place on the Renown Medical Campus in Reno.

Officers released the names of two victims. One victim, who is deceased, is Dr. Charles Gholdoian who was 46 years old. Another victim in critical condition is Shawntae Spears who is a 20-year-old patron of Urology Nevada, where the shooting took place. The name of the third victim has not been released.

The shooter's identity has also not been released and police say they won't do that until next-of-kin have been notified.

Deputy Chief Mac Venzon says despite earlier conflicting reports, the shooting may not have been a random incident.

"The fact that the shooter went through the first and second floor, made his way to the third floor of the building, would indicate to me that this is not a random event."

Investigators say a motive is not clear and they don't yet know if the shooter was a patient of the practice. They believe there is no familial relationship with the shooter and his victims.

Venzon says they are still piecing together the exact timeline of yesterday's terrifying events.

"Preliminary investigation also has revealed that the suspect went past the front desk into the area of patient examination rooms, armed with a 12-gauge shotgun. The suspect fired a total of five rounds, one of which appears to be the one that fatally wounded him. As he moved through the examination area, the suspect fired at least four rounds from the shotgun, striking three victims."

The first call reporting the shooting came in at 2:05 Tuesday afternoon and Deputy Chief Tom Robinson says officers were at the scene within 2 minutes.

"Immediately, our team started entering the building, started a systematic search, floor-to-floor, room-by-room. On the third floor of the building, they located two people down and they located a couple of injuries. Officers immediately evacuated the injured parties and got them medical treatment, and then we began the process of evaluating all the other people that were inside the building."

The shooting took place in the Center for Advanced Medicine which is on the Renown medical campus but is not a part of the hospital facility. The entire campus was placed on lock down briefly before the hospital reopened and returned to normal operations. The emergency room remained open during the lock down.

The Center for Advanced Medicine was closed Tuesday night, and the crime scene remains closed, but many offices in that building are now open for patient services.

So far, Reno Police have interviewed 29 witnesses and more interviews are pending. They have also offered victim services to 40 employees, patrons, and friends.

The investigation could take weeks to complete.