Tahoe fireworks show a go
Listen to the story
The South Lake Tahoe Fourth of July fireworks show will go on this year now that a lawsuit accusing tourism officials of polluting the lake was settled Monday.
The Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority reached an agreement with Joseph and Joan Truxler who sued the organization last fall.
The Zephyr Cove couple alleged that the authority was in violation of the Clean Water Act because the fireworks show discharges chemicals and debris into the lake without a permitting process through a regulatory agency to monitor that pollution.
The authority's executive director Carol Chaplin says that under the settlement, her organization will be devising new clean-up procedures with oversight from local agencies, along with setting up a pollution hotline.
"Someone can call in and identify where there might be some debris we need to look at," Chaplin explains. "It will be helpful to get our community as kind of that neighborhood watch, so that we can respond immediately and identify any potential problems."
Last week, the authority said it would have to cancel the event if the suit could not be resolved this week. The fireworks show has an economic impact of at least $20 million annually.