As Nevada continues to celebrate the Silver State's Sesquicentennial in hundreds of ways statewide, a special ceremony was held Oct. 22 marking the University of Nevada, Reno's 140th birthday in the place it all started -- Elko.
Most people probably don't realize the University Preparatory School -- precursor to the University of Nevada -- first opened its doors in Elko to seven students on Oct. 12, 1874. The Nevada State Legislature approved the relocation of the University of Nevada to Reno in 1885, and students were welcomed to classes in Morrill Hall in 1886.
University of Nevada, Reno, president Marc Johnson attended the Oct. 22 event in Elko, at which the original school bell was dedicated in its new framework, funded by two Elko Rotary clubs.
President Johnson is joined for this broadcast by Kevin Melcher of the Nevada System of Higher Education Board of Regents, who helped organize the Elko community celebration.
The dedication event was designated by the NV150 Commission as one of the Legacy Events commemorating Nevada's sesquicentennial.